Mario "Game" Granata
Just sitting down to write this article, my stomach starts to turn a little bit. The reason for that, is because it is going to highlight Johnny Manziel and Tim Tebow. You know, the two guys who were in the split screen room watching the National Championship Game between Florida State and Auburn? Two of the most hyped players (minus Manti Te'o) in the past 5 years. Those two. But, what you probably don't know is how much these guys are alike.
Well, you know it's a slow week at Hashtag Nation, when I have to spurn an article about Johnny Football and Tim Tebow. As much as the publicity that Tebow got in Denver, and his subsequent trade to the Jets, Manziel is gaining equally noticeable attention for his Memorial Day antics. My question to all the football/sports fans out there is this: Who cares? If you have listened to one of the many Hashtag Sports Episodes, you will know that I don't hold Johnny Manziel in high praise...but that is in direct result to his physical tools and how he plays the game...not how he spends his weekends. We should all take this for what it is worth, a 2nd or 3rd string quarterback who is polarizing to many people, for some inexplicable reason. But, since I have gone this far, let's compare the two shall we.
Here are the similarities between Johnny Manziel and Tim Tebow:
1. Both played in the SEC and were Heisman Trophy Winners.
2. Both finished 5th in the Heisman voting the same year they declared for the Draft.
3. Both were voted AP Player of the Year, won the Davey O'Brien Award, and the Manning Award in college.
4. Both were drafted in the 20's (Manziel 22nd, Tebow 25th) by teams who used their 2nd first round pick (Denver traded back into the 1st round to get Tebow)
5. There are questions about their throwing accuracy and strength.
6. Much has been made about their running styles when they leave the pocket.
7. They are #1 and #2 in College Career Passing Efficiency Rating for SEC Quarterbacks (Tebow, 170.79, Manziel 164.05).
8. Both have ties to the Patriots. (Tebow was with New England for a 'cup of coffee' and Manziel had a cup or two of something else with Rob Gronkowski).
Okay, so maybe that last one was a stretch, but you get the point. These two, highly controversial college quarterbacks, have every move of their lives documented in the age of social media, so much so, that it makes ESPN almost unwatchable. With Tebow out of the picture, the news outlets need to gravitate toward another hype machine, and he is currently with the Cleveland Browns. I never thought I would see the day that I would miss everyone talking about LeBron James, but that time has arrived. With a 100 days until the start of the season, get ready for a heavy dose of Johnny Football...if you can stomach it.